Frequently Asked Questions

Income Questions

What is considered income?

Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received by the head of household and spouse and also by each additional family member who is over 18 years of age and not a full time student. This includes all income derived from assets for the 12 month period following the effective date of verification of income.

Do I have to verify my family’s income?

All income must be verified! Some examples of income include wages, social security, supplemental security income, child support, TANF, family support, pensions, etc. If unreported income is found it could result in the termination of housing assistance.

What deductions are allowed?

  • $480 for each member of the family residing in the household who is under 18 years of age, or who is older than 18 and handicapped/ disabled or a full- time student (other than the head of household or spouse).
  • $400 for any elderly couple.
  • Medical expenses in excess of 3% of annual income of any elderly family.
  • Reasonable child care expenses necessary to enable another member of the family to be employed or to further his/ her education.

What is total tenant payment?

Total tenant payment is the highest of the following rounded to the nearest dollar.

  • 30% of monthly adjusted income, or;
  • 10% of gross monthly income, or;
  • A minimum rent established by the Housing Authority in accordance with HUD regulations, or;
  • A flat rent established by the Housing Authority in accordance with HUD regulations.

What is adjusted income?

Adjusted income is annual income less deductions according to HUD regulations.

Do I have to report changes in my family’s income?

Yes! Your rent is based on your adjusted family income. You are required to let us know when there is a change in:

  • The source of income (such as TANF to employment, part- time hours to full- time hours etc.).
  • The amount of income such as a salary increase or a raise.
  • The number of people in your family.

Depending on the change, the amount of rent you are required to pay can increase or decrease. If you do not report any changes within 10 days, you may lose your housing assistance.